Institute of Endocrinology

Goals and Brief History

 

1957  On January 1st, the Research Institute of Endocrinology was founded by the Ministry of Health in the building of the monastery of Roman Union of the Order of Saint Ursula in the Narodni Street. The first director of the institute was doc. MUDr. Karel Šilink, DrSc. (1957–1973). Two departments, Dept. of Clinical Endocrinology and Dept. of Steroid Hormones were established.
1958 Nearly 3-year internal reconstruction of the building began.
1959  An inpatient radioisotope department of the institute was established for the treatment of endocrinopathies, especially thyroid cancer and thyrotoxicosis, at the Motol University Hospital. The foundation was thus laid for a unique, rare even worldwide, systematic care for patients with thyroid cancer.
1973  MUDr. Jaroslav Pečený, CSc. was appointed as a director (1973–1980 substitute director; 1980–1983 director).
1983  MUDr. et RNDr. Luboslav Stárka, DrSc. was appointed to lead the institute as a director (1983–1987).
1984  The Department of Experimental Endocrinology merging a group for hormone metabolism and a group for radioimmunological determination of hormones was reorganized into the Dept. of Endocrine Biochemistry, which was led by MUDr. Pavel Štolba, CSc.
1986  A laboratory of clinical immunoendocrinology was established as a part of Dept. of Radioisotope Research and Diagnostics.
1987  MUDr. Karel Vondra, DrSc. was appointed to be a director (1987–1990).
1990  Prof. MUDr. et RNDr. Luboslav Stárka, DrSc. was appointed as a director (1990–2000).
1991  On January 28th, the Research Institute of Endocrinology was renamed the Institute of Endocrinology.
1994  Dept. of Radioisotope Research and Diagnostics was divided into Dept. of Proteohomones and Biofactors under the leading of doc. Ing. Radovan Bílek, CSc. and  Dept. of Clinical Immunoendocrinology under the leading of prof. MUDr. Ivan Šterzl, CSc.
  Doc. RNDr. Běla Bendlová, CSc. was appointed to lead the Dept. of Endocrine Biochemistry after the tragic death of MUDr. Pavel Štolba, CSc.
  The Institute of Endocrinology became a endocrinology subdivision of the Institute for Postgraduate Medical Education (IPVZ).
1997 Dept. of Functional Diagnostics was established under the leading of doc. MUDr. Karel Vondra, DrSc.
2001 Prof. MUDr. Karel Pacák, DrSc. was appointed as a director (2001–2002). Motol department was separated from the Institute of Endocrinology.
  Using an increasing number of molecular genetic methods, the Dept. of Endocrine Biochemistry was renamed the Dept. of Molecular Endocrinology and the Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology was split off (under the leading of RNDr. Jana Nedvídková, CSc.).
2002 Doc. MUDr. Vojtěch Hainer, CSc. was appointed as a director (2002–2011). The Institute of Endocrinology was expanded by the Obesity Management Centre. The centre followed up the research activities of the obesity department founded by doc. MUDr. Vojtěch Hainer, CSc. in the IVth Dept. of Internal Medicine of the 1st Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague in 1987.
2003 Dept. of Clinical Biochemistry was established to provide a wide range of mostly automated examinations for the diagnosis and treatment of endocrine disorders.
2008 The Institute of Endocrinology became a research organization in accordance with Article 30 of the Commission Regulation (EC) No. 800/2008 of 6 August 2008.
2010 Dept. of Steroid Hormones and Dept. of Proteohomones and Biofactors have been merged into the Dept. of Steroids and Proteofactors.
  The Institute of Endocrinology gained accreditation type II for education in endocrinology and accreditation type I for education in diabetology.
2011 Doc. RNDr. Běla Bendlová, CSc. was appointed as a director.
2012 The Laboratory Complement of the Institute of Endocrinology succesfully passed 1st degree of accreditation procedure NASKL1 in accordance with ČSN EN ISO 15189:2007.
2013 Since May 20th the Laboratory Complement of the Institute of Endocrinology is accredited by the Czech Accreditation Institute (ČIA) in accordance with ČSN EN ISO 15189:2007 for laboratory examinations in the field of clinical biochemistry, molecular genetics, allergology and clinical immunology.
2014 The Institute of Endocrinology is accredited by the Joint Accreditation Committee (SAK) since 16 December 2014.
2016 Due to legislative changes, the Laboratory Complement of the Institute of Endocrinology succesfully passed reaccreditation procedure by ČIA in accordance with ČSN EN ISO 15189:2013 on 16 May 2016.
2017 The Institute of Endocrinology celebrates the 60th anniversary of the establishment.




Copyright © Endokrinologický ústav 2021

powered by FIREMNIWEBCZ

Menu